5. A Word to Families in an Age of Chaos SCRIPTURE: Exodus 20:12 How do you protect your kids from all the negative influences to which they're exposed? Whether you grew up in a happy, healthy home, or suffered through years of abuse, neglect, and dysfunction, this message from Jonathan may be the most important time you invest all day. Jonathan defends God’s prescription for a healthy, happy family - don’t miss it.
The Command: Honor your father and your mother… Exodus 20:12a (HCSB)
The Promise: …so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12b (HCSB)
1. What does it mean to “honor” your parents? (Lev. 19:3, Deut. 26:19, 1 Sam. 2:29-30) Definition: “to be heavy, glorify, to ascribe value and worth, to respect, to hold in high regard.”
2. Why did God give this Command? • The foundation for human relationship • The foundation for respect of authority • The foundation of human development
3. What does it look like to “honor” our parents?
• As a child, I honor my parents by obeying them. (Eph. 6:1-4) 6 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, because this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with a promise, 3 so that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life in the land. 4 Fathers, don’t stir up anger in your children, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:1-4 (HCSB)
• As a young person, I honor my parents by respecting and cooperating with them. (Prov. 23:22, 20:20) Listen to your father who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother when she is old. Proverbs 23:22 (HCSB)
Whoever curses his father or mother—his lamp will go out in deep darkness. Proverbs 20:20 (HCSB)
• As an adult, I honor my parents by affirmation and provision. (Prov. 23:24, 1 Tim. 5:4,8)
The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him. Proverbs 23:24 (NIV ’84)
4 But if any widow has children or grandchildren, they must learn to practice godliness toward their own family first and to repay their parents, for this pleases God. 1 Timothy 5:4 (HCSB)
8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, that is his own household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 1 Timothy 5:8 (HCSB)
Sunday Schedule 10:00AM Worship Service Online & In building 10:00AM Power Country 99.5 11:00AM FBC KIDS Online