True Spirituality (Part 5) David & Jonathan – Learning to Experience Authentic Community 1 Samuel 18-20
How do you experience authentic community?
I. Jonathan and David model how to experience authentic community.
5 Essentials for Biblical Community – 1 Samuel 18-20 1. Be Aware – God orchestrates circumstances and chemistry. (1 Samuel 18:1-2)
2. Be Intentional – We rarely drift into authentic community. (1 Samuel 18:3)
3. Be Honest – Share the last 10%. (1 Samuel 19:1-7; Proverbs 27:5-6)
4. Be Available – When crisis comes, “friends” arrive. (1 Samuel 20:1-4; Proverbs 17:17)
5. Be Loyal – Don’t “shrink back” when things “heat up.” (1 Samuel 20:5-17)
II. David and Jonathan’s covenant with God was the basis for their devotion to one another. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:9-13
III. Jonathan and David’s relationship reveals that authentic community occurs when the real you meets real needs for the right reason in the right way. 9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. Romans 12:9-13
• Authentic community is the core of Christianity. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” John 17:21
Sunday Schedule 10:00AM Worship Service Online & In building 10:00AM Power Country 99.5 11:00AM FBC KIDS Online